Is Discipline Gone for Good in California Education?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nadia Ansari, Editor

How would it feel to be in class, constantly having disruptions because of one student who is sitting in a chair and does not want to be there? The student may be yelling at the teacher in the classroom, making very inappropriate comments, or just being very loud. The point is, it’s Distracting. And this will be the future of education in California. 

Earlier this month, the state of California passed senate bill 419, which could potentially ruin k-8 public and charter schools in the state of California. Senate Bill 419, created by Senator Nancy Skinner would protect students in K-8 charter and public schools from suspension due to disciplinary action. And, it passed in both houses in the capital.And based on anonymous sources, The Roseville Joint Union High School District (RJUHSD) has just implemented the concept of “restorative practices” on the high school level at each school in this district as well. This bill is dangerous because it grants immunity to students who disrupt the classroom, even if they don’t want to be there. Many reasons come into play for why this bill was created, and if you are a concerned high school student like me, keep listening. If you are absent, school’s loose money for each student not in the class. So, for students being suspended, public schools especially lose money for each child not sitting in a seat. Unfortunately, this is how members who work in public education get paid in today’s day and age. Instead of suspension for poor disciplinary action, the California board of education wants to try a new technique called “restorative practices”: which administrators state could give the students the opportunity to take a break and come back to the learning environment. But, will this benefit both the student and educators in the long run? And will the concept of restorative practices actually work? The fear is of many who oppose this bill, is that this would just grant immunity to students who don’t care about school and enjoy causing problems in the classroom. Some students need to be suspended to learn a lesson, and taking away for administration power to do so may become chaotic. One student constantly causing problems can affect everyone else’s ability to learn, and with student’s losing an ability to learn comes the concept of desisting where many teens and children will: A) give up in school and eventually dropout, or B)move out of public education and charter schools in California to private schooling in order to guarantee a better education which can prepare for college.  If any of these options become the case, this bill was absolutely useless in the making. But maybe restorative practices will benefit the future students in charter and public education in California, this is all just a large waiting game.

To include both sides of the story, as both opinions are important for every story, Assistant Principal Mr.Padilla sat down with me for an interview explaining how Woodcreek administration deals with disciplinary action.