Marching Band takes 1st at Del Oro

Back to Article
Back to Article

Marching Band takes 1st at Del Oro

Left to right: Guard Captain Caitlin Conklin, Senior Drum Major Curtiss Wright, and Drumline Captain Caleb Schauer

Mackenzie Bialzik, Staff Reporter

Band competitions are almost unheard of to the population outside of the music world. These events are an all day long affair that will bring you closer to everyone in marching band. While it is a long and difficult day for everyone, the upperclassmen have continued to love band. The latest competition was just around the corner at Del Oro High School, and had excellent results.

This competition began with a 7:30 arrival time on Saturday, October 15th. From their, over 100 band kids were shipped on buses to be prepped for their parade. Breakfast was served, and it was time for the eager band children to change into uniform. Zipping up in the front is a marvelous black jumper that makes mobility nearly impossible. A white and maroon jacket zips up over, giving the wearer an uptight look. Placed upon heads is a bowl shaped hat called a shako, with a plume(feather like item) locked in upon the shako. The band was ready to perform.

Marching along for a quarter of a mile, the band struggled on. After that, we continued on and reached the competition zone. “You either make it or break it. There is no room for any errors. For band kids, it is the natural selection process, that weeds out those not strong enough. You begin to sweat and feel anxious, it is terrifying,” states Freshman Caroline Pickett. The band played wonderfully, but marching could be improved upon. Drum Major Curtiss Wright was able to perform his lead-off flawlessly. Like every competition, nothing is perfect, and the band has a lot to improve upon, such as marching, wrong notes, horn angles, and head angles.

After the competition, the band was herded into the arena for awards. Competing high schools shouted chants, hopeful for success. The drum majors and captains marched out on the football field, and awards were announced.

Drumline placed 2nd in their wonderful performance created by Chris Baker. Concert Band and Jazz A took 2nd place, Jazz B took 3rd place, and Marching Band and Drum Major Military took 1st place! The band has two competitions down, and two more to go. We can learn from our mistakes and do perfect practice to make a perfect performance.