NOW- Living inside a matrix

Ashley Rasina, Staff Reporter

Over seven billion people are alive right now. Out of those seven billion, six billion and eight hundred million have cell phones. Out of those six billion and eight hundred million, 84 percent could not go one day without their mobile device. According to CNBC, in March 2014, there were 176 million cell phone addicts.

The average person checks their cell phone 110 times a day. When did hanging out with someone become so distant that you are no longer hanging out, but merely in the same room as you text a million other people.

What happened to kids playing in the park? Soccer balls have been replaced by Ipads and cell phones. Coloring books have been turned into drawing applications. Kids are fighting online, instead of facing their problems head on. Electronics have made a wall between the virtual world and reality. Some people seem to live more in the virtual world these days. To be fair, the perks are there: you feel less alone and even invincible behind that LCD screen. But when did being alone become a bad thing, and if you are never alone, do you even know yourself?

Even at school, teenagers cannot seem to stay away from their phones. According to Newswise, ninety-four percent of students in high school confessed to using social media while in class. Ninety-one percent of students even talk on their phones during class. Students cannot stay away from their phones, even for an hour.

The cell phone addiction is becoming an epidemic, and definitely not a good one. 55 percent of cell phone users text while they are driving. Driving while on a phone is considered to be 6 times more hazardous than operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. Not only is cell phone use getting dangerous, it is becoming ridiculous. 12 percent of adults use their smartphones while showering and 40 percent of Americans are on their phones while using the toilet. People are afraid to be alone, even if it is for hardly any time at all.

“People have become so invested into their lives that has been built into their phones to the point of always using it … rather than talking to family or being with friends.”said Taylor Rodriquez, a sophomore at Woodcreek High School.

When the first cellular phone was invented in 1973, I bet no one ever imagined it would take over the world. Now, they are a part of everyday life, but the question is, is that good or bad?