• Winter Break Starting 12/21

• CMP Concert 12/12

• Winter Concert 12/11 and 12/13

Fifty shades of not

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fifty shades of not

Kaylei Grijalva, Staff Reporter

Fifty Shades of Grey, also known as the “most anticipated movie of the year”, ended up being a hot mess. Who would have thought that a movie about a twisted, male dominant relationship could possibly turn out appalling?

When the novel, Fifty Shades of Grey, was first released, it took the world by storm. Millions of copies were constantly being purchased by mixed ages and genders. The thought of a bondage/discipline and dominance/submission relationship appealed to the readers because it was something they hadn’t read much into before. The basic plot is a story of an innocent college student, Ana, who ends up meeting an entrepreneur, Christian. There ends up being some sort of connection; just your typical love story, right? Wrong. As the story develops, Christian supplies her with a contract that states anything that happens between them is a complete secret and their relationship – and friendship – is to never go public. Sounds like a great guy! He doesn’t want a relationship, he wants a sex slave; minus the sex. Long story short, Christian is not your ideal guy and their relationship should not be romanticized.

Along with a weak plot for a book comes a poorly executed movie. As you can imagine, there is no possible way to create a great movie solely out of tying up and whipping a girl for no reason other than ‘personal pleasure’. If you have never read the books and are not aware of the entire plot of the movie, you are guaranteed to be confused for a majority of it. It wastes no time with introductions and the slow movement through the friendzone. Less than an hour into the movie and you are already experiencing what their “relationship” is all about. Their story itself isn’t the bad part, it’s the fact that people actually enjoy and support this movie. It is ironic how women who support feminism and equality are putting money towards a movie that glorifies male dominance and women being used as sex slaves. How can one want equality between men and women, yet you are supporting a story that involves a man purswaying an innocent woman into letting him use her for his personal pleasure and nothing more. It is a shame that these are the types of movies that receive all the attention, but the ones about public icons that are making a difference to society go un-noticed.

Overall, if you support equality between men and women, and are a feminist, then this is not the movie for you. The execution of the movie is as terrible as the plot behind it, and is not one to waste your money on.

Kaylei Grijalva, Journalism Staff Reporter

Kaylei Grijalva is a Junior at Woodcreek High School. Her biggest inspiration is her mom because she does a lot for her family. Kaylei hopes that she is...

• Fifty shades of not

Top Stories

NHS Takes Action in Community With Santa’s Helpers

• Fifty shades of not

Top Stories

How The Camp Fire Has Affected the WHS Community

• Fifty shades of not

Top Stories

Woodcreek Dominates CVC League during Fall 2018 Season

• Fifty shades of not

Top Stories

Cultural identity shapes students’ lives

• Fifty shades of not

Top Stories

Your can donations really do change lives, including that of WHS students

• Fifty shades of not

Art

The Bones (7)

• Fifty shades of not

Top Stories

Homecoming week kicks off with parade

• Fifty shades of not

Top Stories

Meet the 2018 Homecoming Royal Court

• Fifty shades of not

Top Stories

Rivalry Week dawns at Woodcreek: Timber Wolves determined to destroy Tigers

• Fifty shades of not

Top Stories

Class of 2018 Valedictorian Speech: Neeve Chen

Fifty shades of not