Anti-Semitic hate is still around in the U.S.

Rachel Lewis, Staff Reporter

In many of the schools that surround and feed into Woodcreek, students go through a unit on the Holocaust some time in junior high. They read books based on true stories, and works of fiction set in the Holocaust era, and the unit is extremely important because of the promise, “Never again.”

“Never again” was the promise made that the terrible events of the Holocaust would never be repeated, that innocent people would not be slaughtered again. An estimated six million Jews were killed in the Holocaust, and including other groups that the Nazis killed such as Slavic peoples, people with disabilities, and Jehovah’s Witnesses, the total of the Holocaust reaches around 17 million people. 

However, the Jews were the only group that the Nazis intended to exterminate completely. The events of the Holocaust were a result of the culmination of ages of Anti-Semitic sentiment in Europe, and Anti-Semetism did not start or end with the Holocaust. 

On Friday, November 1, in Pueblo Colorado, Richard Holzer was arrested for planning to bomb Temple Emanuel, a Jewish synagogue. He was accompanied by co-conspirators who were actually undercover agents. When they met with Holzer he was said to be holding a copy of Hilter’s “Mein Kampf” and wearing a Nazi armband.

Richard Holzer was the first attack on a synagogue since the shooting in Pittsburgh which killed 11 people, the most violent attack against Jews in the United States. Though is may not be as noticeable anti-semitism is still present in the modern world.