Speech and Debate in the largest US tournament

Helen Huang, Staff Reporter

Woodcreek’s Speech and Debate team has proven to be a strong and successful one for many years, with innumerable awards, team participation in high-stakes tournaments, and notable speakers from both past and present. It almost shouldn’t be a surprise, then, that about two weeks ago, they were at one of the largest invitationals in America.

The Martin Luther King, Jr. Invitational was held at James Logan High School in the San Francisco Bay Area from January 13th to 15th. James Logan is known for its size (with about 4000 students) and its excellence in academics and public speaking. The competition had enough events to acknowledge more than 100 award-winning students. Some schools brought more than 300 competitors to the event.

Woodcreek won 5 awards. Dana Bell and Jonathan Davies placed 6th in Congressional Debate; Bell became a quarter finalist, and Davies a finalist. Sophie Ceja was in Original Prose and Poetry and took 2nd place.

Tatyana Woods, who competed in the speech event Thematic Interpretation, believes the team did extremely well, representing Woodcreek “with poise, positivity, and sportsmanship.” She considers the invitational her favorite “by far”, saying, “…Seeing and competing against kids from schools…with much larger programs than ours was amazing and educational.”